Monday, September 29, 2008

Understanding about Understanding

I had an interesting experience at the broadcast this last weekend that I wanted to share with you. I learned a really good lesson that didn’t come from anything that the speakers said. As the broadcast began, the girls in front of me began to whisper back and forth and laugh…and it was so distracting. On first impulse, I was annoyed, wanting to listen to our leaders who were and are called of God to help us here on earth. It was so bad that I seriously considered moving seats. As I sat there annoyed for a couple seconds because I couldn’t focus with these girls chattering and laughing in front of me, I had an inspired thought that called me to repentance. I looked at them, and wondered how often I had been on the other side. How often had I been the distraction to the people around me? How often had someone been trying to feel the spirit, had maybe been going through a hard time, and because of me, they were denied the opportunity to feel the spirit and receive answers. I felt sick, ashamed at my many faults, for the many times that I had restricted the revelation of others. The only thing I could think to do was bow my head and ask for forgiveness for the many times that I had been an interference for the spirit. I found myself pleading for these girls in front of me, who just happened to be in my ward, asking Heavenly Father to touch their hearts so that they would receive the answers and peace that they needed, and to help them calm down, then pleading that if that wasn’t his will, that I would be able to focus so that I could receive answers.
How often are we, myself included, so quick to judge? Christ teaches that we should remove the beam in our own eyes before removing the mote in someone else’s. I learned a great lesson that day. As I closed my prayer, i felt a greater love for these girls in my ward, hoping that they would be able to receive answers as well. And I WAS able to focus after that because of the greater love that I had for them. What a blessing it was to partake of the blessings of the atoning sacrifice of our Savior. I’m so grateful that I can be forgiven for all the times I was a deterrent from the spirit. May we each be able to feel greater love for those around us, even when they cause us frustration and pain.

No comments: