Monday, October 6, 2008

Sources of Living Water

Last night I was approached by a girl that I barely knew and had an interesting experience. She came up to me after ward prayer and just stood there, waiting for me. I looked at her and said, “Hey Ashley! How are you?” As I said it though, I just looked at her and was startled by my own emotions, and responded quickly, “Would you like to talk?” Stifling tears, she just nodded, so we got in my car and drove up to the temple. As we drove, she unloaded to me, sobbing, expressing her frustration with life. There seemed to be an overpowering theme to her frustrations. You see, she is amazing; although I don’t know her incredibly well, I could and can feel and tell that she is amazingly charitable, and always reaching out to others. (After meeting her once, and showing interest in her life, she made me a pie…Yeah, that’s how sweet this girl is.) But last night she had had enough. Over the last few weeks she had given and given, and had been taken advantage of as a friend one too many times.
As I listened to her, my favorite analogy that I learned on my mission came to mind, and I had the opportunity to share it with her. This analogy has changed my life. And I wish to share it with each of you as well. The analogy goes something like this:
Each of us in this life has a bucket, full of water, which we carry with us everywhere. The water represents happiness, compliments, and energy that we have, or rather in a gospel perspective, the love of God. as we go throughout life, we have the ability to give water to others through service, compliments, etc. and people have the opportunity to do the same to us. Thus, in healthy living, your bucket should stay neutral - as you give to another, you dip out of your own bucket and give to theirs. Similarly, another can do the same and fill your bucket. This process keeps one emotionally stable as he passes through the difficulties and trials of this earth life. But what happens if someone is always giving, always dipping the water out of their bucket to give to others, and never receiving? Sooner or later, his bucket runs dry, he can give no more, and he either gives up, breaks down, or becomes bitter.
This is exactly what happened to Ashley. She had completely emptied her bucket, without receiving anything in return. Her bucket ran dry and she could give no more, causing her to resort to frustration and tears.
This analogy causes one to think: Are you a giver or a taker? And how is your bucket doing? Are you running dry? If so, what is the formula to fill your bucket again?
Naturally, the easiest way to fill your bucket would be to seek compliments from others, or surround yourself with good friends. I would be a fool to not admit that this is an excellent tactic. I believe that this is why Heavenly Father has given us families, so that we can lift each other up, or fill each other's bucket. Similarly, good friends can be a source to receive the love of God daily. Is there any doubt why the leaders of the church counsel us to surround ourselves with good friends?
Let us not forget, however, that there is a greater source of water, living water that we can receive whenever we need it: the light and love of our Savior. Jesus counseled the Samaritan woman, saying, "If thou knewest...who it is that saith to thee, give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee LIVING WATER." Confused the woman asked where she could find such water. Jesus answers humbly, helping us to understand the HE himself is the living water. "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give shall never thirst." (John 4:10-15)
Our Savior is the living source of water from which we can and should fill our bucket. We can dip from his bucket freely, for His is the only one that never runs dry. His water is a source that leads to everlasting life.
May we each be conscious of two things in our lives: that we daily drink from the living water of the Savior, and that we also remember to fill the buckets of those around us. There are those, like Ashley, who ache for their bucket to be filled. The spirit gave me a chance to fill her bucket; and I believe that he grants these opportunities to each of us. May we be in tune enough to act on them.
One last thing: For those of you who feel like your bucket might be a little empty at the moment: know how much I love you, appreciate you and pray for you. You mean the world to me and make a difference in my life. I’m so grateful I know you. Your Savior is mindful of you and can help you fill your bucket, so that you can reach out to others. He’s done it a million times for me, when I’ve felt completely empty. I know He can do it for you.

4 comments:

tiffanie said...

Thank you for sharing that story. (You are a very good writer!) It was a good reminder to constantly be filling others buckets, and allowing them to do the same for you. Along with that, it is important not to be a drain on others, or poke holes in people's buckets as well.

The Kynastons said...

Manda!!! You have a blog?!?! And you didn't tell me?!??! :) So....this one time, I REALLY miss you...and I wish I could hang out with you. I cannot wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Love you!

The Kynastons said...

P.S. I love that analogy you shared. I think that's a really important lesson and I know it's something I need to work on - focusing on filling others' buckets. You're amazing Manda and thanks for sharing that.

ixoj said...

You're amazing, Manda.