Monday, January 9, 2012

Noise Levels and Neighbors

When we got home from Christmas vacation, Camden wasn't feeling well. Consequently he had a difficult time readjusting to his crib. He screamed a scream I'd never heard before. Mat and I wanted to teach him to learn so we went back and forth between letting him scream, and visiting him in his room and talking to him. During one of these bouts of screaming when we happened to already be in Camden's room, we heard this obnoxious loud pounding right on the other side of the wall where Camden's crib is. It was loud, prominent, and if i could label it this way, rude. It was as if the sound was intended to tell us something. Mat and I looked at each other like, "What should we do?" Eventually Camden fell asleep, but I laid awake that night trying to figure out what to do. I didn't want to be rude to our neighbors by letting him scream, but Camden needed to learn to get himself back to sleep at night. I felt so bad for our neighbors and decided the next day to do something to say thanks for their patience.

I apparently gave them too much credit. Over the next few nights, Mat and I were unpleasantly surprised to hear a vacuum running at 10:30 at night. Then moving furniture at a similar hour. Thudding footsteps. Pounding. I was honestly worried that the tumultuous noises would wake Camden. I have a hard time believing that they did it accidentally. I'm doing my best to be a good person and not say anything though.

What would you do if you were me? Would you say something? Would you ignore it? I got to thinking that maybe we are louder than we think (besides Camden's crying), and I need to be more considerate. At least that's what I've been telling myself so I don't get mad...

2 comments:

Jen said...

I hate situations like that. We just got rid of some single neighbors next door that would come up the stairs and slam their door at about 2 am. I never said anything, and I'm sure they didn't even realize how loud they were. I honestly don't know what I'd do, let me know if you come up with anything. Maybe just grin and bear it and dream of the days when you'll have your own house.

angela said...

Tricky situation! We had similar experiences at our old house in the wee morning hours. Our neighbors were renters and somewhat scary people so it was hard to know what to do. Jon had to actually go outside several times (at 2am) to tell them they were being too loud because we couldn't take it anymore. I think you should take over some cookies and explain that your baby hasn't been feeling well for the last little bit and you "hope" he they haven't been able to hear him too much and if they have you are sorry - hopefully it will get better (not mentioning that you have heard them retaliating...). :) It seems like when you take the extra step to reach out, it's always received better than you think. At least they should be more patient with the situation knowing that you are working on it. It's hard on both sides of the coin.