Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First Lessons in Motherhood

It seems as if everyone has things to tell you about kids and motherhood, yet no one really tells you the important things. Like how come there are so many different kinds of diapers? And does it really matter what kind you use?

So, for your entertainment, the IMPORTANT things that I have learned in my first month of motherhood.

1) Huggies – they really are the best. Unless, of course, your child really is build like a box. Then you really would need a square diaper. For the more ‘curvy’ children, however, I highly suggest huggies. Much better… less poopy messes.

2) Recovery—Don’ t think you are the exception to the rule and pack jeans to wear home from the hospital. I mean, who is going to see you right when you get home anyway? Do you go home to a party with a newborn? Really…

3) Naming your child – We received so many different reactions to the names we liked while I was pregnant. (I honestly thought all of the names we considered were somewhat normal, but apparently some people didn’t.) Some days it was comical, other days it annoyed me that people were so honest. I have decided that no one ever tells you they hate your baby’s name after you actually name it. Isn’t that wonderful? Because, I mean, really, what does that accomplish other than making you hate that person?

4) Putting diapers on boys—point him downward. (have you ever wondered why no one ever really tells you that in their hours of advice? I mean, you could save someone from hours of changing clothes and wet bedding and crying children. Now THAT is good advice!)

5) Although people tell you that “sometimes babies just cry,” it doesn’t make it any easier as a mother and it doesn’t make your mind race any slower wondering if you’ve done something wrong or could do something to fix it. Just get used to it.

6) If you have something to do in the evening and need to look nice, don’t expect to put a shirt on in the morning and wear it that evening, unless of course it comes into fashion to have stains and spit-up on you, in which case, I salute you for your decision.

7) Optimal nursing shirts = ones you don’t have to wear an undershirt with. That’s harder than it sounds. Think about it. J

8) Laughter has become my antidote for any problem.

9) The best thing that has happened to me has been to have my mother and sister close. I love their advice, but what I love the most is, after asking them a question, hearing the words, “That is totally normal.” After hearing that, I just don’t worry.

10) My only piece of advice: don’t listen to advice. You’ll most likely have a different opinion. J

2 comments:

Vance Murray said...

Good to see that you guys seem to be doing well. We still do Binki dances with Lincoln to get him to go to bed. Good luck with Camden, he sure is a good looking kid.

The Kynastons said...

Amen, amen, and amen. I can especially relate to the "sometimes babies just cry"...but that doesn't take away your stress and worry! I swear, the first 9 months of Macie's life I was constantly sweaty and stressed from all of her crying! I'd say you've learned a LOT in 4 short weeks!