Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Slanket and the Snuggie

I recently saw an infomercial for a blanket with sleeves, called a Snuggie. Apparently it is just too difficult to hold a blanket around you AND get the phone/use your laptop/hold a child/color in a coloring book/use the remote. Really folks? Are we that lazy of a generation?

I chalked it up to a silly infomercial and had a good laugh, until a few days later I was flipping through the SkyMiles Magazine and found, lo and behold, a snuggie, but it wasn’t called a snuggie. It was now, hold on to your hats folks, a Slanket.

Mat mentioned to me that he used the word as a catch phrase yesterday, which got me to thinking. Can you really turn any word you want into a verb? An expletive? Can you turn it into an adverb or an adjective? So to answer my questions I did what any modern sleuth would have done: I searched the web.

Try it. Enter in Slanket and see what comes up. You might find the following words or phrases: The Slankets (maybe they know the Who’s down in Whoville), The Slanket Kids, or my personal favorite, the verb form, slanketteering. Yes, it is now a verb. What do you suppose it means to slanketteer? And when would you do it? Maybe they’ll make a new movie (obviously called something like “Meet the Slankets,” The Slanket Kid,” or “The Slanket, the Snuggie and the Wardrobe”) and a character may yell, “to the slankets!”, or “frankly my dear, I don’t give a slanket!” or “do or do not, there is no slanketteer.”
Just a thought…

2 comments:

The Kynastons said...

We just saw the Snuggie commercial over Christmas break and about died laughing! hahaha...oh man...I know what to get you for your next birthday :)

Matt and Kimbre said...

How about the family roastng marshmallows in the commercial while all dressed in Snuggies/Slankets? Do they look like a bunch of monks to anyone else?